People with a cow milk allergy can drink camel milk, because camel milk has nobetalactaglobine, the protein where a lot of people are allergic to.
Lactose intolerance is something different than a cow milk allergy. With an allergy a protein causes that the immune system is activated. The smallest amount can cause a life threatening situation.
Lactose is also known as milk sugar, occurs in all types of milk. To break down milk sugar, you need the enzyme called lactase. When there little to none lactase to break down the milk sugar, it goes down to the colon in its pure form. There, the bacteria will react with the milk sugar and start to ferment. This causes a bloated feeling, stomach ache, cramps, diarrhoea and flatulence.
Allergy or intolerance:
An allergy is an abnormal reaction of the body to certain substances (allergens). It is important that these allergens are completely avoided. The smallest amount of an allergen can cause a fierce reaction.
With an intolerance, most people can tolerate an small amount (lactose). A food intolerance is also known as a “non-allergic food sensitivity”.
Why camel milk:
When there is talk of an intolerance, it means that the person can tolerate a small amount of the substance. In camel milk there is a lower concentration of lactose, as to the concentration in cow milk and that is why they can drink the camel milk!
- sva_brochure_koemelkallergie_2012 kopie
- informatie melk
- Immunoglobulin E in health and disease
- Characterization of Camel Milk Protein Isolates as Nutraceutical and Functional IngredientsUAEU_SQU_Final_Report
- Camel Milk for Food Allergies in Children kopie
- WAO_DRACMA_guidelines kopie
- Unfolding Kinetics of b-Lactoglobulin Induced by Surfactant and Denaturant- A Stopped-FlowFluorescence Study
- voedingnu kopie
- The usefulness of casein-specific IgE and IgG4 antibodies in cow’s milk allergic children